Organisation : University of Kerala
Exam : B.Tech Degree Examination
Document Type : Model Question Paper
Category or Subject : Embedded Systems
Year : November 2016
|You can now ask your questions about this question paper. Please go to the bottom of this page.|
Website : http://www.keralauniversity.ac.in/downs
Download Question paper : https://www.pdfquestion.in/uploads/9739-embedded.pdf
Embedded Systems Model Question Paper :
Part A : (Answer all questions. Each carries 2 marks)
I. (a) List four key features of embedded hardware.
(b) What is UART? Explain the data frame for UART.
(c) Explain the basic DRAM cell.
(d) How does a counter perform timer function?
(e) List the advantages offered by an ASIC for designing an embedded system.
Related : University of Kerala Machine Tool Design Model Question Paper : www.pdfquestion.in/9737.html
(f) Explain Mutex Operation.
(g) List out the functions of a kernel. What can be the functions outside the kernel?
(h) Explain the use of semaphores.
(i) Describe the functions of linker in embedded programming.
(j) What is a mailbox? How does a mailbox pass a message during an IPC.
Part B : (Answer any one full question from each module.)
Module I :
II. a) Discuss the recent trends and challenges in the field of Embedded Systems. Also discuss the design issues in an embedded system. (10 Marks)
b) With a neat diagram, explain the CPU architecture of PIC processor. (10 Marks)
III. a) Explain the embedded system design process with an example. (10 Marks)
b) With a neat sketch, explain the structure of a typical embedded system. (10 Marks)
Module II :
IV. a) Describe in detail HDLC protocol. (10 Marks)
b) Explain the interfacing of 2MB RAM with the processor (10 Marks)
V. a) Describe the key features of CAN and I2C bus protocol. (10 Marks)
b) How does a DMA help in faster task execution in an embedded system. (10Marks)
MODULE III :
VI. a) Briefly explain the creation of processes and its management. (10 Marks)
b) Explain about the disk drive partitioning in Linux. (10 marks)
VII. a) Discuss the handling of interrupt source call by the RTOS. (8 Marks)
b) Briefly explain the different methods of Inter process Communication. (12 Marks)
MODULE IV :
VIII. (a)Briefly describe about debugging and emulation. (10 Marks)
(b) Explain the different techniques used for the optimization of memory. (10 Marks)
IX. Briefly explain the design methodology of a burglar alarm system. (20 Marks);=
Machine Tool Design :
PART A (5×4=20Marks)
1. State and explain law of gearing?
2. Explain the term virtual number of teeth in helical gears and derive the expression?
3. Discuss bearing characteristic number and bearing modulus as applied to journal bearing?
4. Explain the importance of ray-diagram in gear box design?
5. What are the factors affecting the stiffness of machine tool structures?
Part B : (20×4=80Marks)
Module – I :
6. Design a journal bearing for a centrifugal pump for the following conditions Journal diameter = 75mm
Speed of the journal = 1140 rpm
Load on the journal = 11500N
7. Select a single row deep groove ball bearing for a radial load of 4000N and an axial load of 5000N,operating at a speed of 1600 rpm for an average life of 5 years at 10 hrs. per day. Assume uniform and steady load?
Module – II :
8. A pair of helical gears 23º helix angle is used to transmit 25 KW at 3000 rpm from the pinion shaft with a velocity ratio of 3:1.The static strength of the gear material can be taken as 75N/mm2. Number of teeth on the pinion is 24.Find the module pitch,face width and axial thrust developed on the shaft for 20º full depth involute teeth and check the design against static strength considerations?
9. A 35 KW motor running at 1500 rpm drives a compressor at 720 rpm through 60º bevel gearing arrangement. The pinion has 24 teeth. The gear material can be taken as cast steel. Face width can be taken as 1/4 of the slant height of pitch cone. Design the gear pair for 20º stub teeth system?
Module – III :
10. A six speed gear box is to be designed for transmitting 8 H.P with speed ranging from 600 rpm with common ratio as 1.25. Select the optimum ray diagram and hence calculate the gear sizes. Calculate the shaft sizes and sketch the gear box?
11. Design the headstock of a lathe having nine spindle speeds ranging from 50rpm. The machine capacity is 6KW, with common ratio as 1.5. Show the layout of gearbox and connection to the motor?
Module – IV :
12. Explain design features and types of machine tool beds with neat sketches?
13. a) Discuss the methods of improving stiffness of machine tool structures?
b) What are the methods to lower thermal stresses in machine tools? Explain with examples?