Organisation : Union Public Service Commission
Document Type : Question Paper
Year : 2016
Exam : Civil Services (Main) Examination – 2016
Subject : General Studies
|You can now ask your questions about this question paper. Please go to the bottom of this page.|
Website : http://www.upsc.gov.in/examinations/question-papers/question-papers-year-2016
Download Model/Sample Question Paper :
General Studies Paper – I : http://www.pdfquestion.in/uploads/9852-GeneralStu1.pdf
General Studies Paper – II : http://www.pdfquestion.in/uploads/9852-GeneralStu2.pdf
General Studies Paper – III : http://www.pdfquestion.in/uploads/9852-GeneralStu3.pdf
General Studies Paper – IV : http://www.pdfquestion.in/uploads/9852-GeneralStu4.pdf
Civil Services General Studies Question Paper :
Paper : General Studies Paper – I
Time Allowed : Three Hours
Maximum marks : 250
Related : UPSC Civil Services Main Examination Model Question Paper 2016 : www.pdfquestion.in/9849.html
Question Paper Specific Instructions :
** There are EIGHT questions divided in TWO SECTIONS and printed both in HINDI and in ENGLISH.
** Candidate has to attempt FIVE questions in all.
** 60uestions no. I and 5 are compulsory and out of the remaining, any THREE are to be attempted choosing at least ONE from each section.
** The number of marks carried by a question/part is indicated against it.
** Answers must be written in the medium authorized in the Admission Certificate which must be stated clearly on the cover of this @uestion-cum-Ansu0er (69CA) Booklet in the space provided.
** No marks will be given for answers written in a medium other than the authorized one.
** Word limit in questions, wherever specified, should be adhered to.
** Diagrams/Figures, wherever required, may be drawn in the space provided for answering the question itself Attempts of questions shall be counted in sequential order. Unless struck off, attempt of a question shall be counted even if attempted partly.
Section A :
Answer all the following questions. Each-question is to be answered-in-not-more than-200- words. Each question carries equal marks :
1. Early Buddhist Stupa-art, while depicting folk motifs and narratives successfully expounds Buddhist ideals. Elucidate. 12
2. Krishnadeva Raya, the King of Vijayanagar, was not only an accomplished scholar himself but was also a great patron of learning and literature. Discuss. 12
3. Explain how the Uprising of 1857 constitutes an important watershed in the evolution of British policies towards colonial India. 12
4. Discuss the role of women in the freedom struggle especially during the Gandhian phase. 12
5. Highlight the differences in the approach of Subhash Chandra Bose and Mahatma Gandhi in the struggle for freedom. 12
6. Has the formation of linguistic States strengthened the cause of Indian Unity? 12
7. The anti-colonial struggles in West Africa were led by the new elite of Western-educated Africans. Examine. 12
8. To what extent globalization has influenced the core of cultural diversity in India? Explain. 12
9. “An essential condition to eradicate poverty 1s to liberate the poor from the process of deprivation.” Substantiate this statement with suitable examples. 7+5=12
10. Why are the tribels in India referred to as “the Scheduled Tribes’? Indicate the major provisions enshrined in the Constitution of India for their up liftment. 4+8=12
11. With a brief background of quality of urban life in India, introduce the objectives and strategy of the *Smart City Programme’. 4+8=12
12. What is the basis of regionalism? Is it that unequal distribution of benefits of development on regional basis eventually promotes regionalism? Substantiate your aT1SWCT. 3+9=12
13. Discuss the concept of air mass and explain its role in macro-climatic changes. 12
14. “The Himalayas are highly prone to landslides.” Discuss the causes and suggest suitable measures of mitigation. 12
15. The effective management of land and water resources will drastically reduce the human miseries. Explain. 12
Paper : General Studies Paper – II
Directions for the following 6 (six) items :
Read the following two passages and answer the items that follow each passage. Your answers to these items should be based on the passages only
Accountability, or the lack of it, in governance generally, and civil services, in particular, is a major factor underlying the deficiencies in governance and public administration. Designing an effective framework for accountability has been a key element of the reform agenda. A fundamental issue is whether civil services should be accountable to the political executive of the day or to society at large.
In other words, how should internal and external accountability be reconciled 7 Internal accountability is sought to be achieved by internal performance monitoring, official supervision by bodies like the Central Vigilance Commission and Comptroller and Auditor General, and judicial review of executive decisions. Articles 311 and 312 of the Indian Constitution provide job security and safeguards to the civil services, especially the All India Services. The framers of the Constitution had envisaged that provision of these safeguards would result in a civil service that is not totally subservient to the political executive but will have the strength to function in larger public interest. The need to balance internal and external accountability is thus built into the Constitution
According to the passage, which of the With reference to the passage, the following factor/factors led to the adverse consequences for governance/public administration ?,
Political executive is an obstacle to 1, Inability of civil services to strike a the accountability of the civil services balance between internal and external accountabilities
Lack of sufficient professional training In the present framework of Indian to the officers of All India Services polity, the political executive is no Lack of proper service benefits in civil services
a. assumptions have been made to the society
b. longer accountable to the society
Lack of Constitutional provisions to Which of these assumptions is are define the respective roles of valid 7 professional civil services vis-a-vis
political executive in this context (a) 1 only
Select the correct answer using the code (b) 2 only given below :
(a) 1 only (c) Both 1 and 2
(b) 2 and 3 only (d) Neither 1 nor 2
(c) 1 and 4 only
(d) 2, 3 and 4
Which one of the following is the essential the following is not a means of enhancing message implied by this passage 2
(a) Civil services are not accountable to internal accountability of civil services 7 the society they are serving -b
(b) Better job security and safeguards